Since 2003 I have been the Senior Jewish Chaplain for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in their entire jail system. I am also the Jewish Chaplain at Corcoran State Prison, and serve as the Rabbi, part time, for K'hilat HaAloneem in Ojia, California. While in the jails and institutions I am primarily there for the Jewish inmates, I also have a considerable amount of interaction with non-Jewish inmates, most of whom are addicts. No matter what the crime, I found that the common beginning point was addiction.



I devote a considerable amount of time with my men post-incarceration. Helping them, encouraging them, to try and build a sober and healthy new life. It is gratifying that while there is a 78% recidivism rate for normal inmates. I have been blessed to see a high percentage of men with whom I work most intensively who have changed that statistic. With my men, there is a non scientific rate of 80% who do not return to jail.



Even though the system is troubled. I continue to be amazed at the courage and strength of so many of my men. The majority of who have come to me after being incarcerated numerous times before. These men have given and continue to give my life blessings that I never could have imagined. I hope that their stories can do he same for you.







Monday, February 7, 2011

A Blessing I Never Expected

Each summer, through the generous support of Edna Weiss and her late husband Mickey Weiss, the Board of Rabbis and the Jewish Federation are able to send two rabbis and their spouses to participate in the Shalom Hartman Institute's Rabbinic Torah Study Seminar in Jerusalem.

At the Seminar, rabbis of all denominations from North America, Europe and Israel engage in intensive Jewish learning. The program combines intensive hevruta study, lectures, discussions and a tiyyul designed to enhance the effectiveness of rabbis as educators and spiritual leaders. 


I am excited to announce that this year I was one of the two Rabbis who received this scholarship.  I was very proud and honored when I was told that I had been chosen to go to Jerusalem to study with such wonderful people.  I look forward to bringing back some new and exciting tools, which I can use to teach the men I work with, to help them with their connection to Judaism and God. 

3 comments:

  1. Mazel Tov! I know Rabbi Eger goes to this study and talks about what she has learned there - Reva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yasher Koach. I know you will use your learning to help so many when you return. How long and how soon? Can you take me with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you. We know a Rabbi who is on staff there, Rabbi Bill Berk.

    You will have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete